Old 18-06-2009, 03:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
Tynk[_2_] Tynk[_2_] is offline

Default Filling a pond

On Jun 17, 9:46*pm, Clurrie wrote:
Jeremy992 wrote:
I am very new to this site and new to gardening overall, and therefore
apologise for this very basic question.
I have quite a large garden and am thinking of building a largeish
pond
(22m x 17m approx 430,000 litres using internate calculation tools)
My question is how do I fill it with water? (as I am on a meter and
obviously this would be out of the question)
Apologies again for the base nature of the question but any help would
be appreciated.
Thanks

I have a decorative trout pond which is somewhat in the "range" of
yours, (19x 10 x2.1 meters deep at the "deep end") *We calculated it to
be about 150 000 liters (time to pump out with pumps of "know" output).
* I mostly let the rain fill it, but don't drain it during normally dry
periods. *The surrounding lawn is sloped to the pond, giving me about
0.3 hectare rain collection area. *It normally does not need filling
even during dry spells and is only drained every 3-4 years when I
restock (must "depopulate" before adding new fingerlings). *That's also
when I tinker with the deep plants like water-lilies, etc.,
transplanting and thinning as necessary...

An accident waiting to happen.......lawn runoff to fill a pond is dumb
dumb dumb as is relying on rain to fill it. Probably like a bloody
cesspool.
A pump with a known capacity, yea right. DUMBASS BRIT!