Old 18-06-2009, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default snails

On Jun 18, 9:54*am, Sacha wrote:

And 3 x Greatgrandfather probably kept the moleskins to make a pair of
trousers! *;-) *Actually, 6d was quite a lot back in the 1800s, too!

When I first discovered that Zachariah was a molecatcher I wondered
how on earth he could afford to raise a family of 10 children on the
income. I then found out that the molecatcher was the best paid man in
the village - he had a retainer from the parish council of £100 per
annum as the pest controller (the PCC had to have a retained pest
controller by law).Then he had retainers from as many landowners as he
could get.Then he charged 6d a mole caught. Then he sold the pelts to
fur dealers who shipped them to USA by the million. Zachariah was also
the parish clerk. What I want to know is where did all the family
fortune he made go to?