Old 18-06-2009, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lemon balm

Pam Moore wrote:

Thanks for the clarification Jennifer. I have never been able to keep
the lemon verbena (aloysia?) over winter. Lemon balm (melissa?) does
spread and seed itself about.

We used to have a lemon verbena back in England. It seemed to be doing
very well but after three years it died one Winter. Never tried making a
drink with it, but I remember bruised leaves smelled very lemony -
almost like sherbet.

I doubt our lemon balm will get chance to seed itself about - I keep
picking all the tips for tea :-)

It would be nice to grow some in a different part of the garden though,
where it could be allowed to run riot and self seed. I'll have to try
taking some cuttings later in the year. Any suggestions when is the best
time?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.