Old 15-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Unique Too

Default groundcover for rose bed?

"Jean S. Barto" writes:

Just wanted to ask about a good and easy care groundcover for my new rose
bed--there are 10 different roses there--all are short varieties--border and
*groundcover* types--and they are planted in the front section of my front
yard, which is sunny all day.

Jean,
May I suggest annuals? Your bed will fill with roses in the next year or two.
If you use annuals for the season, you won't end up with crowded beds when the
roses mature. *Most* of the annuals won't have large spreading roots that will
interfere with the roses growth and food either.
I don't like the naked look either but I had to remove the perinnials when they
interferred with the roses. Now I use whatever annual catches my eye until the
beds fill. Any annual flowers that you prefer and do well in your sunny
location would be fine.