Old 18-06-2009, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rope ricu rope ricu is offline

Default Asparagus question

On 2009-04-27 22:20:50 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Apr 27, 9:28*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
I've just got back home after a week on holiday and theasparagushas
put up lots of shoots, some of which are too large to crop to eat.
Should the larger shoots (a foot hight) be cut off or just left to grow?
Will leaving them reduce the number of new edible tips?
--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the

In Norfolk we used to growasparagus; cut the shoots off now even
though they are too large to eat (are the tips too large?) *Don't let
them to to seed just yet.

OK for established plants but for plants in their 2nd and 3rd years
(assuming they were planted as 1-year-old crowns), leave unharvested
spears alone until they form frothy heads which can be cut down in
autumn.

Hi!

I'm writing my blog about asparagus and maybe you can find some useful
tips here http://www.asparagusgrowing.net/