Old 18-06-2009, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Brownie The Brownie is offline

Default snails

"moghouse" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 6:19 pm, Sacha wrote:

No wish to appear callous, but I find snails have an aversion to being
stamped on. Would you care to hire one of my younger grandsons for a
weekend?

What's the going rate per snail?

Well 3xGreat Grandfather Zachariah, the molecatcher used to charge 6d
a mole. That was back in the early 1800s. At today's rates that would
be.... err...ummm....very expensive! But then there is the retainer to
be negotiated and the cost of disposing of slimy squashed bodies less
the income derived from the sale of shells to the jewellery trade.
Then there are the fees for the accountant and the tax estimator. On
second thoughts you would be better off with a packet of slug pellets!

But then, what abut the birds?? and other desirable wildlife rround the
garden? agonizing death for them. I used to find that going round slugs and
snails favourite places armed with plenty of common salt, sprinkle on slugs,
round base of pots etc for snails, worked well. The old tip of little pots
of beer round sluggie areas worked, too.The slugs love that, they go up the
pots to their own little *pubs*, drink some, fall in and drown... Now isnt
that a nice way for them to go????

Marg