Old 18-06-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Snr[_2_] Frank Booth Snr[_2_] is offline

Default Strawberry harvesting & runners question?

On 18 June, 19:04, Freedom_Spark Freedom_Spark.
wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm a complete gardening novice & I planted two baskets of
strawberries in the greenhouse this year, three plants per basket. They
are doing great, we've already had some ripe berries & there are plenty
of new flowers coming through. When harvesting the ripe strawberries, I
just take the berry itself, leaving the remainder of the flower on top,
should I cut this off with the berry?

There are now what I assume are runners growing from each basket, maybe
ten between the two. One of my uni tutors mentioned that these can be
turned into new plants but how? Do I take them off yet? How do I make
them root? And will they survive the winter? (I assume these would be
next years plants)

Here is a photo of what I think are runners, any advice welcome, as I
said I'm a complete novice!

It's a runner. Don't use more than 2 runners per plant.You need to pin
down the runner (use a hairpin) onto a full pot of damp soil at the
point just behind that small formed leaf. Trim off the extension just
beyond the leaf. After at least a month the maiden plant should have
sufficiently rooted. Remove the hairpin. Give the plant a gentle tug
just to make sure.Then cut off the maiden from the runner and remove
the runner from the parent plant.Make sure the soil is kept damp
throughout this time. In early October plant the maiden out, keeping
its root ball intact.