Old 18-06-2009, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Advice on Snakes Head Fritillary

The Brownie writes
Can anyone advise me.. I tried in vain to grow Snakes Head Fritillary years
ago when we lived in a different region. Heavy clay soil. Needles to to say
they didnt thrive.

Why "needless to say"? I'm on heavy clay and mine thrive.

Now were in a Cumbria soil - and plenty of rain. Can I
grown this plant in pots, please, and what to do- what to avoid... Thanks

Given that mine are flourishing without any attention or any particular
thought, I'm at a loss to suggest what to do, but here goes ...

I'd have thought they'd be easier in the ground. They seem to do OK in
dappled shade (although the famous ones at Magdalen College are in a
meadow. Don't let them dry out completely in the summer. And it's easier
to start with plants - you get one guaranteed flowering, and you can see
where you planted them.
--
Kay