Old 19-06-2009, 08:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Need to grow your own manure?

"gunner" wrote in message
"Billy" wrote in message

For half a century, meat producers have fed antibiotics to farm animals
to increase their growth and stave off infections.

The Minnesota researchers planted corn, green onion and cabbage in
manure-treated soil in 2005 to evaluate the environmental impacts of
feeding antibiotics to livestock. Six weeks later, the crops were
analyzed and found to absorb chlortetracycline, ......

Jeeze Louise! More bloody sloppy reporting. Why don't they differntiate
between Feedlot animals and grass fed animals!

Or perhaps all beef in the US comes from feedlot animals. Our cattle are
only ever given anitbiotics if they have a problem like an infection and
then it's usually only one jab that has a 3 day life.

Fran, ya gotta get out more Dear.

No, I don't need to get out more but you should pay attention to what I
write, not what you think I write.

The article that Billy posted reported only on intensively farmed animals.
There are indeed other forms of farming animals that does not involve the
use of antibiotics. We do the latter.

http://www.rsca.org.au/media-centre/...ive-farms.html :

"Antibiotic resistance is becoming a big threat to the health of
Australians and is increasingly being linked to the food we eat.

This cite too is only about intensive farming. We too have intensive
farming however, I was not complaining about the existence of intensive
farming but the fact that the artcile made no attempt to mention that there
was any form of farming OTHER than that which involved the use of
antibiotics. Sloppy reporting because it made no attempt to differentiate.