Old 19-06-2009, 09:42 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default mosquito breeding control

Anyone know of an Australian source for the bacteria (BTI) or the
hormone control for mosquito wriggles? I searched online but can't
find any local web suppliers, i.e., in Aust, yet there are plenty of
outlets in the US.

A pool company has left a friend with a half-finished pool, and the
pool and the cratered yard are breeding plenty of mozzies here in
Sydney despite it officially being Winter. The mild temperature and
unrelenting showery weather are providing good breeding conditions.

The owner tried a couple of bottles of kero but it evaporated too
quickly to be a long-term solution (while awaiting a legal remedy for
the pool). Initially I thought a pool cover might provide the answer,
but I've been reading where pooled rainwater in the plastic cover
itself can provide a good breeding ground.

ALSO:

We might have some new readers since I last asked this question, so
I'll try it again: Some years ago I heard on a radio program of a new
(new to me!) method for stopping mozzies from breeding in garden
water features, lily ponds, etc., and I thought to myself "I should
write that down or I'll probably forget it." Well, I didn't write it
down, and sure enough I forgot the details!

This method didn't involve tiny fish or anything like that, either.
I just can't remember what it did involve; just that it was something
I would not have otherwise thought of.

Anyone?