Old 19-06-2009, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice on Snakes Head Fritillary

In article , me@privacy says...
Can anyone advise me.. I tried in vain to grow Snakes Head Fritillary years
ago when we lived in a different region. Heavy clay soil. Needles to to say
they didnt thrive. Now were in a Cumbria soil - and plenty of rain. Can I
grown this plant in pots, please, and what to do- what to avoid... Thanks

Marg

The best way to establish them in a garden is to buy the corms in late
summer, do them up into pots ( lots in each)and place under the
greenhouse bench, protect from mice and keep just moist, in spring when
the shoots appear check for roots and as soon as you see roots plant the
out where you want them (they actually quite like a heavy soil) the
problem is that wild ones have their roots already at the time you are
able to buy the corms so they can cope with wet while the bare corms can
not and they need re hydrating slowly
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk