Old 19-06-2009, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default My raddishes are pithy

In article ,
Steve Daniels wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:27:45 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled Hal , to say:

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:29:42 -0700, Steve Daniels
wrote:

My radishes are pithy.

Not enough water?

Radish and turnip grow more tasty in mild seasons, like early spring
and late fall here. They become pithy and more hot and turnips more
bitter as the weather warms.

I guess they'll make good compost.

Hang on there cowboy. The root may have gone pithy on you but you can
still eat the seed pods.
I planted my French Breakfast mid-April, and they are starting to get a
bit chewy. I also had a volunteer which pushed in mid-March. It is now
in it's pod stage, and pod eating is good eats.

If you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radish you will
see that it only takes about 3 - 4 weeks for radishes to become mature.
You will also find some references to their pithiness. I'm sure other
sites will do a greater exposition of radish characteristics.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn