Old 19-06-2009, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default hot and shady summer replacement vegetable

I'm in 7b (Atlanta), and it's getting hot.

I have a small garden in the sunniest part of my shady yard, which
gets varying amounts of shade in the afternoon. In one of the shadier
spots my snow peas look like the heat is taking them out, and I'd like
to replace them. What would be good to plant there at this time? Perhaps
some hot weather leafy vegetable although I'm unsure what that may be.
Or is that a good spot for herbs? There's a fence there to grow on.

On another note, I harvested my first (and only, lots of flowers that
fall off) zucchini and the tomatoes have finally set some fruit (at 4'
tall). The cukes are running rampant (lots of flowers) and the melons
look like they are ready to take off. Carrots look healthy too and I
think the bell pepper has set fruit.

Jeff