Old 19-06-2009, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default Strawberry harvesting & runners question?

HI Sarah

Freedom_Spark wrote:

snip

Thanks very much for the advice! I hope I've understood correctly, the
roots come out of the tops of the runners? Should I pin them down into
the pots right away? Thanks again for being so helpful.

Does no harm to pin them down right away.
No - the roots will come out of the _bottom_ of the little sections
where the leaves are.....

...and you jusy have to wait until the roots are properly established and
the plantlets are self-sufficient before you cut them off from the parent.

You can get several little plants off each long shoot, if you wish..

If you have the plants in the ground then the runners will do this all
for themselves - which is a good thing or a bad thing - depending on how
many extra plants you wanted ! g

Have fun !
Adrian