Old 19-06-2009, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Biting Gnats

On 2009-06-19 19:13:58 +0100, Martin said:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 18:55:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:
snip
You don't put DEET on your skin. The armed forces of most countries use it in
the tropics. DEET works. It's one of the few repellants that have been shown to
work in scientific tests. I guess the risk of catching malaria focuses
the mind.

Malaria would focus anyone's mind whereas Lariam has been known to
unfocus it.

L Maria?

Lariam is one of the anti-malaria drugs. A friend of mine's son went
totally loco on it - not unknown, apparently. He recovered but it took
some time and the illness was terrifying to his wife and family.

However - not much risk of malaria in UK. Yet.

It's brought into the country occasionally by international travellers. Of
course there are people who take holidays and make business trips in places
where malaria is endemic

It's not something I can worry about among the hundred other things
we're supposed to worry about!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.