Old 20-06-2009, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Paper pot maker

"Bigal" wrote in message

At he begining of the year a friend showed me a wooden paper pot maker
that she had bought for her mother. The idea was that as I do a bit of
wood turning I could make one for myself and one for her. So I did.
In fact I also made a slightly bigger one and a smaller one.
I had tried using peat pots and I wasn't very impressed as they seemed
to retain the roots inside rather than let them grow through. It was
a completely different story with the paper pots. I tend to use them
now instead of plastic pots , and transplanting has been made a lot
easier and minimal root damage.
I have found that the smallest one that I made was ideal for growing
single seeds as there was no root damage caused by pricking out, and
allowed the plant to grow on with minimal hold back on growth. The
bigger ones I use for bigger seeds.
I recently planted some lettuce seeds (3 - 4) in some bigger ones. I
was being lazy and not wanting to make some smaller pots. Those that
were left after transplanting I left to grow on in the greenhouse in
their pots, and it suddenly struck me that they are ideal for making
small leaf salads I am now trying other varieties of suitable
greens.
I know that some people use grass bottles to make the pots but usually
use a paste to stick the base down - then have to wait for it dry. No
such problem with this system.
I thought it might be of interest to some of you, and I hope I havent
bored too many people.
Bigal

--
Bigal

Interesting one Bigal,
This is something i thought about, but didnt think it was worth forking out
ten quid or so for the ready made one in case it didnt work.
I was thinking the bottom of the paper pot would not be very stable.
So are there any tricks in the esign and making i should know before I try
to mke one?

John