Old 20-06-2009, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Seeds...

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:03:35 -0400, Ernie Willson
wrote:

Thos wrote:
"Ernie Willson" wrote in message
Thanks Ernie,

I'll check that out.

Try the Yahoo "Seedmessenger" groups.

EJ in NJ

Thos,

Normally I consider "Billy" to be quite over reactive. In this case I
believe that his cautions are more reasonable. Bear in mind that
dandelions were brought into the country by immigrants with a few
packets of seed.

I'm not trying to put a damper on your zeal , or recreational
activities, but hope you will use caution when importing seeds. As a
start I'd suggest only swapping seeds with other US residents. At least,
in this way you'd not be responsible for another invasion of Dandelion
or other invasive species.

Good luck with your growing,

EJ in NJ

Dandelions - I wish I had more of them. I look at people who have
loads of dandelions in their yards and think "Hmm, I bet they need
them and don't know it." Dandelion leaf is a wonderful diuretic - a
great heart medicine in that it contains loads of potassium, which
most commercial diuretics leach out of the body. The root helps purify
the liver and gallbladder. As I have so few, I pay for dandelion leaf
and root for my elderly dog.

Plantago was also introduced by Europeans, also known as white man's
footprint, as everywhere the white man walked, plantain grew. Yet it's
a wonderful plant for treating bee stings, mosquito bites, splinters
etc - I'm grateful for the invasion in my yard.

I know there are invasives that are foreign originally to any area in
the world, but we've become such a globe trotting species that there's
not much to be done about it, besides weeding, imo. Seeds are
transported on shoes, clothing, dogs etc - so I guess my point is
individuals trading seeds doesn't sound like something to worry about
at this stage of our evolution. That ship has sailed.

Kate - imo, of course