Old 20-06-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree roots everywhere!

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:43:44 +0100, mattyd
wrote:

Hi All, new member and new to gardening in general!

I have a small problem - To the back of my house there is a playing
field surounded by trees, a few months back the counsel arrived and cut
down every second tree (by the looks of it) these trees are about 10ft
from the boundery of my garden.
Sence the tree has been cut, my avarage size garden has been sprouting
small tree roots, there a nice covering over the whole garden, i would
guess there are about 50 or so.

So, advice needed. but I do have two questions...

1- im guessing the trees roots are heading towards my house, is there
any chance of future damage to the foundations?

Maybe. It really depends on the kind of tree. I wouldn't trust a
willow nor a silver maple, but a sweetgum or sugar maple is okay.

2- to remove them whats best - cut, pull, lawnmower or none of these?

Cut roots getting into your garden area. I use a spade, maddock, pic
axe, saw, etc. Cutting tree roots may harm the health of a tree, if
that matters.

Cheers all!