Old 20-06-2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Seeds...

"Thos" wrote in message
m...
There has been so much talk about where to get good seeds, what not to
buy, etc....Is there some rule against us starting our own little seed
exchange within the group? I grow only non-hybrid varieties and seed that
I harvest from my own garden.
Any thoughts? I'm in Texas and would love to try some tomatoes from the
UK, Europe, or anywhere else frankly outside the U.S.. Several years ago
the wife and I brought back some roma tomato seeds from New Zealand and
those babies were huge! Should have saved some of those seeds for sure.
In addition, I have 3 bay trees, two of which are over 15 feet tall, and
one that is about 8 feet. The largest has a base trunk caliper of well
over 12 inches. HUNDREDS of bay leaves! Anyone need fresh bay leaves?
Let's chat about it. I'm sure that the inevitable "seed police" will pop
up and argue about some law or something that should prohibit this
behavior, but really.....they're seeds, and we're gardeners. Not like
we're a group of veggie te**orists!

The short story of the Texas law link: if you ain't selling, you aint
dealing, so the link is a moot point.
Now there are Fed laws which I strongly recommend more attention to

lots of info here on this English site( go figure)
http://theseedsite.co.uk/aphis.html . There are FAQs and links
on importing seeds to US such as the free permit application he
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml
included are the restricted plants and seeds, the how to do it legally
stuff. For small lots of seed:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...seed.shtmlzone 8a, WA State. Looking for exotic herbs and veggies that woud/couldadapt.Real Wasabi is one that comes to mind, black cumin, the purple de milpatomatillo...got my Seed Savers Cat. too late for this year, interesting varitals butstill want more exotics.