Old 21-06-2009, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Paper pot maker

"Bigal" wrote in message

The nice thing is that the roots grow through the paper very easily
and make transplanting a sure thing. You actually have aabout three
or four layers of paper. You can make it thicker if you want but
completely unnecessasry. When making them you need to averlap by
about an inch and fold this over the base. The bought ones are
designed to comprss the base and hold it more firmly. It is this size
which I think will make ideal little post for growing a range of plants
for baby leaf salads. They could easily be grown on a windowsill.

Using an aerosol can (or similar) with overlapped paper for the bottom, and
made as I described originally keeps the base firm enough so that soil
doesn't collapse it. Honestly. Perhaps I'm just a cheapskate, but when I saw
the price of the bought ones (even online) my frugalness leapt in and sought
alternative solution. The alternative works just fine and is flexible
enought that you can make pots of different lengths from it so you can make
shallow pots for things such as cut-and-come-again salads, and deep pots for
things such as carrots (so no disturbance of seedlings when potting out)
beans, peas..