Old 21-06-2009, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
comp.john comp.john is offline

Default Harvesting potatoes now --- what to do with foliage (fear ofblight)?

On 2009-06-21, Martin wrote:

It's true! We have tried it.
If we time it right boiling won't make them fall apart either. )

I've had a steamer for a long time, but the leccy ones are way more
versatile than the hob ones in my experience. I never boil veg now,
steamed is so much more tasty. And rice never ever goes wrong in the
steamer (before it was a hit-or-miss affair).

One of the better 30 quids I've spent.

Only thing to watch out for with the leccy ones is, because they
completely vapourise water, the element, and in our case the timer
mechanism, will become clagged over time if you use tap water regardless
of whether your water is considered 'hard' or 'soft'.
But they're easy to de-scale and doing so will restore it to service.
--
comp.john