Old 21-06-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default coprosma

In article , lid
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
The message
from solaara contains these words:

Does anyone know where I can buy a coprosma (mirror plant) I live in
Kent u.k...... Are they only in the garden centres at certain times of
the year?

I'm very fond of coprosma and have acquired several different ones at
branches of B and Q, but they seem to be only occasionally in stock.
I don't know why, other than that they are not very well known in the
UK yet.

Janet

Could be because they are not very hardy - all mine are dead here!

Must be some other reason. Have a look here at the Coprosma list (with
hardiness level included):

http://www.countyparknursery.co.uk/C...Plant_List.pdf

Graham Hutchins has been growing these for 50 years, so should have a fair
idea of which are hardy and which are not. Sadly, no mail order...

Yes but that is in London with a much milder climate away from the towns
you have little chance of getting a plant through its first 3 years, they
are not hardy and anything below -4 -5c will damage them below that they
die, you could of course give them awarm wall or glass protection but
that doesn't make them hardy just less likely to die :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk