Old 21-06-2009, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Plant chat

On 2009-06-21 18:15:58 +0100, aquachimp
said:

Was I dreaming or was there a news item this morning about an RHS
experiment in the effects of talking to plants? (the effect being on
the plant, not the person).
If I heard right then the plants tested showed a more favourable
response to the sound of a female voice.

The RHS rep seemed to be saying all gardeners talk to their plants.
Well, not all!

I can't say I was ever so inclined as to talk to a plant, other then
to utter something like, "oh come on" when having difficulty in
digging one out.

There was some theory/research/comment - forget the details - about
one's breath being good for plants and thus evoking a response
(electronically) from them. And I feel almost sure there was something
about this in The Secret Life of Plants.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon