Old 22-06-2009, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Need to grow your own manure?

"enigma" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

Wonder how the US will survive the current crisis given that
China now owns nearly all American debt. The next few years
could be interesting.

i know you're in OZ, but do you know if it's difficult for Americans
to emigrate to NZ (or OZ, as well)?
lee eyeing 709 hectacres in NZ)

Dunno about NZ - Pete Heubner would probably know something about that given
that he migrated to NZ from Europe.

As for Oz, the only things I know are either anecdotal or what I read in
the paper. In some ways we're like the US in that we have 'guest workers'
from poorer countries but at the top end of the scale (either in terms of
unique skills or large fortunes) we will take people. I'm guessing you
might be in the middle of these two ends. Here's the place to start:
http://www.immi.gov.au/

Anecdotal info is from two friends who have moved here - one a Canadian of
40 with a teenaged son and the other is a British woman who is retired and I
guess could be described as being of "independent means".

The Canadian woman has enough money to put down a hefty deposit on a house
but will need to work till retirement. She is having some problems but it
looks like she'll be able to stay.

The British woman is here permanently as I think this might be because she
will never be living off the government - ie she won't be asking for an Old
Age Pension.

One thing that I know cold cause a problem for Oz immigration and probably
NZ as well would be Boo's Autism. All migrants are subject to health checks
and the possibility that children of the primary migrants may end up needing
health care some time in the future after the parents shuffle off their
mortal coil seems to be a problem.