Old 22-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Susan Ranson Susan Ranson is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff[_14_] View Post
SteveB wrote:
I'm in a quandary. We want a greenhouse. One of the nice ones cost about
$10,000 for the size we want. I can make the metal structure (I'm a welder)
with even curved top pieces instead of PVC, but would consider PVC as it is
much cheaper than steel. I'm having trouble finding clear (or nearly clear)

First, I know nothing about greenhouses.

I do know something about solar and finding (or rather not finding)
clear polyethelene. Only the wrapper it comes in ever really seems to be
clear.

I suppose you've tried the greenhouse supply companies in your country.

What I use is corrugated polycarbonate (widely available in the US,
OZ and NZ), I suppose with your lower temperature needs you could use
PVC. Both materials are crystal clear. For framing I use wood that's
been primed and with a good exterior paint on top. You can get screws
with rubber seals to secure the glazing.

The polycarb has a very long life, which may offset your material costs.

I trust/hope I haven't stopped any greenhouse experts from posting....

Jeff

visqueen with fabric molded in, but will locate some of that. I have a
walking foot upholstery sewing machine, so I can make all the panels,
complete with grommets, snaps, and zippers. I know I can build this for a
whole lot less than $10k.

Anyone have experiences of making their own greenhouses they'd like to
share? Particularly woven poly? Suppliers I've found have like 10,000 sf
minimums.

How about overhead hanging drip mist watering systems? In-line fertilizer
dispensers? Heaters? Raised boxes for small crops like herbs and such?
Other things?

Ramble on about what you know. I'm listening.

Steve

First time I have posted, I was interested to read this thread as I am also under the impression that if the greenhouse is still a hobby rather than commercial it would be hard to be able to build anything as cheaply as you can buy at the moment, especially in the current economic climate, there are some really good deals out there. We do a combination deal (UK only - sorry) where you get the greenhouse including guttering, and base (www.mrgreenhouse.co.uk). Polycarbonate is a great material, which you can buy opaque or crystal clear. Also try to find a twin polycarbonate as it diffuses light preventing scorching. It also is low maintenance and virtually unbreakable, which can also be a bonus if you have children or pets.

So think about all the options carefully before going ahead and building or even purchasing a greenhouse.

www.mrgreenhouse.co.uk

[/quote]