Old 22-06-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting cooked vegetables

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Ignore it; its based on a misguided notion that only cooked veg
attract rats. Rats are just as fond of raw veg,
a cosy compostheap, and the worms that will move into it later.
You can also ignore the usual local council advice not to compost
citrus peel, onion skin and eggshells because they don't decompose. It's
nonsense.

I agree.

I totally agree with you about citrus peel, but eggshells just sit there.
I've pulled them out from the bottom after being in the composter for a
couple of years!.

Yes, they will, but chuck them on anyway! Just crumble them when you
use the compost.

The things that I compost that do last for ever are (sea) shells, like
mussel, oyster, scallop or winkle. But I chuck them on my traditional
heap anyway. Avocado stones, peach/nectarine/plum stones, the harder
nut shells etc. take some years, but they can be left to do that in the
soil. I sieve them out for making potting compost, but not for spreading
on the garden.

The point is that all of the above turn into things that are no more
harmful than small stones - and eggshells are more like limestone sand.
If you have acid soil, they will be useful for that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.