Old 22-06-2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default Volunteer Flower I.D.

FarmI wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who putters wrote:
Billy wrote:

This flower has volunteered here since forever, but does
anybody know its name?
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u
Top row, middle two pics.

The softness of the stems intrigued me.

BIll
I added a third to show the flowers in place. So now it is the top
row, except for the borage and the onion.
The magenta flower is Lychnis - it also comes in white. They are
brilliant survivors in dry conditions which they seem to prefer and in
my place the volunteer seeds sprout in a gravel pathway.

Indeed that is it, thank you Fran. It is odd, and reassurring that,
though thousands of miles apart, we have the same floral friends.

It is indeed nice and glad to be of some help. It's very, very irritating
to not know what a certain plant is. I have one in my front driveway and
it's a glorious thing in spring. It took me 10 years to find out that it is
a Parahebe, but beyond that, I still have no idea of its full name and I can
find nothing on the Net quite like it.

The
Lychnis coronaria, the red Valerian, Nasturtiums, and the Foxglove are
volunteer guests every year here, on the north side of the hill. They
seem to grow wherever I don't intrude.

I love common old Valerian and also Foxgloves but they don't do well here as
they prefer moister conditions than they can regularly get.

My really super duper favourites of the old fashioned plants though would
have to be Lily of the Valley,

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take. My
brother, who lives on the edge of a valley (Cleveland, Ohio), has a
substantial stand of Lily of the Valley in the swampiest part of the
yard. I've never seen them grow elsewhere. The only thing I've seen grow
in swampier (and shady) conditions is skunk cabbage.

I was always fond of jack in the pulpit, which grew in the valley.
Never a lot but always a few.

Jeff

Lavendar Shower and Fairy Fishing Rod. I
can't grow Lavender Shower here but I can on our other farm where I've
tucked it inot the hsade behind a water tank on the eastern side of the
house and even though we are not there a great deal, without any help on my
part it thrives. I've done much the same thing with the Lily of the
Valley - south facing and moist and always in shade and it keeps on keeping
on.

Oh, Happy Winter Solstice, the lengthening days will push you to start
collecting your seeds. You must have about 60 days before you need to
start germinating. Time to make plans.

Thank you for the Winter wishes - it's as cold as charity here ATM.

As you lot write about your tomatoes and lovely summer crops, I go a bright
pea green colour. But David and I will get our turn soon and then we'll
make you Northern Hemisphere types turn pea green :-))

And thanks again.

Most welcome.