Old 22-06-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default chili & sweet pepper plant help please.

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"wafflycat" wrote
Got loads of different varieties of hot chili & sweet pepper plants in
the greenhouse. Lovely plants. Look very healthy. Plants standing
upright, bushing out. Leaves lovely & green. Loads of flowers. BUT, once
flowered, no chilis or sweet peppers forming. The flower withers, also
the small stem it is on withers and then the entire thing drops of the
plant. So it would seem no pollination? Do I need to get in there with a
paintbrush and pollinate by hand?

Sounds like it, or leave the greenhouse door open.
We always grow our chillies out on the allotment so don't have a
pollination problem but it does seem that it takes a while for the plants
to start producing fruit, the first flowers don't seem to do much.

I do leave the door open - plenty of insects coming and going, so if it
doesn't change *soon* I'll be in there with the paintbrush it would seem.