Old 15-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Rich Conley

Default pH fluctuations? GH drift?

hrm...I could see the bog wood bringing it down.....but up...I'm stumped.

linda mar wrote:

no rocks. just some bog woods (purchased at LFS), and the standard
aquarium gravel (the inert kind).

linda

"Rich Conley" wrote in message
your GH is going up...you sure you dont have any rocks in the tank that

are
dissolving?

linda mar wrote:

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out what may be stressing my fish... before

start adding wide-spectrum antibiotics or anti-parasitics, I wanted to

rule
out stuff that is more prosaic than some insidious infection...

so I've started to test pH more regularly (every day for the past 4

days).
it's a moderately planted 37G tank, nitrite, ammonia, nitrate is always
zero... temp ~75F.. UGF (2 aquaclear201 powerheadss) + HOT Magnum.

unfortunately when I test, I sometimes get a color that doesn't match

any of
the color on the pH chart (AP pH test kit). so one day, I got a dead-on
7.0... then the next day, it was baby blue, but not as dark as a 7.6..

and
it definitely was not 7.2 or 7.4 green-tinge. so.. what the heck is this
value?

so my question is:

1. what would equate to a very diluted 7.6 color? is that considered

7.6?
(basically, no green.. looks like the baby blue for the AP freshwater
nitrite test kit when nitrite=0, but much much lighter than what the

card
shows for 7.6). I've tried very high pH (tap water).. and the color

turned
very dark blue, like the 7.6 on the scale.. so..

2. can a pH drift from 7.0 to 7.6 in two days when you dont' do

anything?
can plants do this? (CO2 outdiffusion, etc) I've heard of water turning
acid, but not creeping to alkaline...

3. dKH=2, dGH=6... which is kinda funny.. it was 3, 3 last month. just
tested the the tap and is GH/KH=2... (I use the dechlor'ed tap when I do
partial water change...) so the GH drifted from 2 to 6 in the past month

or
so. is this indicative of something strange with the water? (oddly

enough,
when I checked my LFS's water it was pH7.0, GH=6, KH=2, and we probably

have
the same water source as we are neighboring city.. I wonder if tap

drifted
really high in GH one week when we both did water change?)

4. I've added flourish, flourish tabs, flourish iron and flourish excel

in
recommended doses over the past month. can that contribute to GH creep

and
pH instability?

5. should I even *attempt* to increase kH to stabilize the pH from
fluctuating too much? (my idea is less is better for overall

maintenanceship
of tanks... but if it is necessary..)

6. is there a better pH indicator that will show me better 7.0-8.0

range?
(my water is alkaline.. have yet to see it go below 7.0)

linda