Old 23-06-2009, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jiri B[_3_] Jiri B[_3_] is offline

Default Runner Beans Unwinding

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 00:30:07 +0100, Judith M Smith
wrote:

This last week most of my beans (red rum and also French climbing
beans) have unwound themselves.

This is the first time I have ever seen this.

I normally start them off - by winding them round the support and
then securing, and then off they go.

I did this - no problem - but then several unwound themselves down as
far as the tie.

Anybody else experienced this?

Do other people start them off by a wind round?

How do they do if you don't do this?

We just had a week away on holidays and I said there to my wife: "I
bet the stupid runner beans are winding themselves all over the place
and I will have to untangle them and show them the way."

On return I found them all clinging to the designated bamboo poles in
an exemplary fashion. Well done!
I apologised to the beans profusely for my doubts in them and rubbed
the few infestations of blackfly off with my bare fingers.

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.