Old 23-06-2009, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff[_14_] Jeff[_14_] is offline

Default Volunteer Flower I.D.

FarmI wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

I love common old Valerian and also Foxgloves but they don't do well here
as they prefer moister conditions than they can regularly get.

My really super duper favourites of the old fashioned plants though would
have to be Lily of the Valley,

This makes me wonder how much moisture Valerian must take.

Sorry Jeff, but I worded that last post very badly. I meant that the
Foxgloves neded more moisture. The Valerian seems to be as tough as an old
boot as it too seeds and sprouts in a gravel section of the drive.

My
brother, who lives on the edge of a valley (Cleveland, Ohio), has a
substantial stand of Lily of the Valley in the swampiest part of the yard.
I've never seen them grow elsewhere. The only thing I've seen grow in
swampier (and shady) conditions is skunk cabbage.

I was always fond of jack in the pulpit, which grew in the valley.

I don't know 'Jack in the Pulpit'. Can you tell me what its botanical name
is please?

Arisaema triphyllum

http://www.americanmeadows.com/Peren...riphyllum.aspx

Loves shade. Even more so than the Lily of the Valley. And that about
exhausts my botanical knowledge!

Jeff