Old 23-06-2009, 05:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dale P[_2_] Dale P[_2_] is offline

Default Any way to deal with a salted yard?

"Lawn Guy" wrote in message ...
John Corliss wrote:

They want to get back at you by vandalizing something they know
you own. (snipped the rest of the stuff)

I'm no novice to usenet, "Lawn Guy". I know when I'm being
trolled.

I don't waste my time "trolling".

Your situation was interesting. I wanted to learn more about how your
lawn came to be "salted".

It is not a very ergonomic thing for anyone to do, especially young
vandals who usually resort to more spur-of-the-moment forms of
retribution and who want to be absolutely sure that you noticed the
dammage. Salting turf may not always work and yield the desired
results, and even when it works - you might attribute it to a natural
cause and I'm sure that's not what they would have wanted you to think.

Hence my questions about the type of salt (fine-grain table salt, or
course road salt). If it was table salt, I can understand how it might
have been hard to detect and remove. But coarse road salt (used to melt
ice in the winter) would have more visible and could have easily been
removed via shop vac.

Removal (via vacuum, raking, etc) may no longer be an option to you, but
if anyone in the future searches for "how to deal with salted yard" they
may find that advice timely and useful.

If they live in an area where water softeners are common. then they would
have immediate access to a good quantity of rock salt. Either way, box
stores sell it cheap.

DP