Old 23-06-2009, 01:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Building a new pond

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:33:55 EDT, tomsimmons
wrote:

New on here, thought I'd have a look around see what people are up to
etc.

Welcome.

I'm planning on building a pond in my garden. Always wanted one, but
the bedrock is so close to the surface it's not easy. Anyhow I was
inspired by a variation on a pond I saw being made on Gardeners World.
They used a length of commercial waste pipe, the stuff that is used for
major utility piping. They pretty much sat it on the surface, put a
liner in it, filled it with water, then made the sides presentable with
a slate wall.

Now strangely enough I've not been able to find an off cut of such
pipe, so I'm still working on the wall, but I'm going to excavate as
deep as I can, which may only be 8 inches. Stand the wall in there,
then I'm thinking of building a rockery all around the pond.

The final result will probably be about 2 foot deep and 5 foot diameter
(approx 60 cm deep by 1.5m diameter). The added bonus I have here is
that if I can't get any depth, then I could just stand it on the ground
and be go from there.
Tom

Sounds very unique. Can't wait to start seeing some pictures. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us