Old 23-06-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:42:37 -0500, wrote:

Squirrels will appreciate sticks. They need to chew to keep their
teeth from growing too much. If you're indoors, perhaps leaves and
straw which could be cleaned out daily.

For grass and such, you can buy wheat grass at many supermarkets. Or
buy grass seed and sow it in pots.

Kate

Hi Kate. Your practical reply kind of caught me by surprise (the
thread has taken on a life of its own g).

Yeah, we provide sticks and limbs, and have people pick up driftwood,
etc. Their teeth grow constantly, and they need to keep them worn
down. A couple of the little guys think they're beavers; amazing how
much wood they can chomp through. We also build low structures out of
limbs for those who are safe climbing. (Some of the more severe
injuries need to be kept in low cages so they can't attempt to climb).

Re the 'mini-lawn': I first tried small test patch of grass, but it
probably had too little drainage. Not sure what our supermarkets
have, but I'll check that.

The indoor enclosures do have substrates, etc., but I try to take
advantage of our summer weather, especially for those who have been
cooped up for a while. The natural UV makes a big difference.

Seems like this question is off the beaten path. I suppose that most
are more familiar with growing grass lawns, but it occurs to me now
that this is relatively specialized. Maybe wishful thinking on my
part to be attempting the 'mini-lawn' thing.