Old 23-06-2009, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
nativo nativo is offline

Default Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

On Jun 22, 5:22*pm, Bob wrote:
First: -I have no idea aboutgardening-. I'm trying to figure out how
to put down some 3' by 3' squares of turf for wildlife (small animals)
that we rescue. *I figure that will make them feel a little less
homesick during their stay.

I want to keep this as simple as possible, as the sod will just be
used as a 'floor' in enclosures. *I suppose I'll have to get some kind
of a large pan, and possibly punch holes in the bottom to make sure it
doesn't get too wet (that was the mistake made on the first smaller
scale test).

Again, absolutely no experience with this, so please post any ideas,
however elementary. *Need for how much soil underneath? *Design of
containing pan? How much *water? *Fertilizer? *Light? *(If possible,
I'd like to bring these inside in the winter, so maybe UV lights will
be required then)

Any ideas appreciated.

I'm sorry I don't know a lot about gardening so I can't help you
there. I think some of the ideas you have come up with are great and
you should try them. Obviously you've already discovered what doesn't
work.

I read some of you're other responses. I just wanted you to know that
I think it's a great thing what you're doing for the rescued animals.