Old 23-06-2009, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbing mouse or rat

"beccabunga" wrote in message

'Martin[_2_ Wrote:
;851454']

We caught the mouse that had shared food with our cat all winter with a
humane
mouse trap. A plastic thing that tips up and a hatch closes when a
mouse tries
to eat the bait. The poor little thing died of a heart attack. Not at
all
humane.
--

Martin

They die of starvation - mice need to eat constantly. I don't like
these "humane" traps. They stress the animal and by letting them loose
one is breaking the law since they are vermin.

The old-fashioned snap trap is much more humane and deals with the
problem rapidly.

It is not true that it's against the law to let vermin loose after being
live-trapped. That only applies to non-native species like grey squirrels.
I had great success in catching mice in the house with a catch-alive trap
which was mainly made out of perforated zinc. I put plenty of food in it
and the mice were always alive in the morning. The one time I used a
plastic one like a tube with a snap shut door the mouse was dead in the
morning and was wet (lack of ventilation?)
I now have a cat so haven't needed a trap for some time. Mind you, I would
not attempt to trap a mouse that was outside - it doesn't seem fair as it's
their own habitat after all.

Tina