Old 24-06-2009, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:25:38 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Bob wrote in
news
That would be correct. There are only about 4 or 5 of us (in a
large city), and no funded organizations that deal with
wildlife. That is, aside from housing them overnight and usually
euthanizing them within a day or two.

not NYC?
do you get any other of the fringe city dwellers, like oppossum,
raccoons, coyotes, foxes? or just the obvious, like squirrels? any
birds? raptors?

BTW, my father (out of state) works with bats. Amazing
creatures.

yes, they are. i'm so happy the government is giving emergency
funding for the study of white nose! can you imagine how awful the
mosquitoes would be without them? or a world without vanilla?
lee bat conservation international. donate!!!

I just mentioned WNS in another post, but obviously you already know
about it. Yeah, it's tough to stir up sympathy for bats (squirrels
are tough enough, and they're cute and fuzzy). I hear lots of "let
'em die" from the usual crowd, until they're informed of the possible
consequences. For some, it depends on which animal you hate worse, so
mentioning West Nile/Mosquitos usually elicits some sympathy for bats.

I've occasionaly 'rescued' birds, but that entailed just mainenance or
shuttling the worse injuries off to those more specialized. I've
actually seen a couple raccoons and oppossums wander into the city,
but I don't deal with them (my life is complicated as it is, and
there's a whole other level of licensing for possible rabies vectors).

One of the misperceptions about those mythological altruistic
city-funded "Wildlife Organizations": Someone called the city about an
oppossum who had wandered into a park. They captured and euthanized
the poor critter and its babies. Would have been easier to transport
her to a rural location, but that's "not their policy." The animal is
nocturnal--she wasn't bothering anyone. She was obviously just
displaced or lost.

Since you're up on WNS, do you happen to know if there's been any news
re profiling it or its spread?