Old 25-06-2009, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Kaffir Lime Bush help

snails wrote:
Hi

Could anyone give me some advice please - my lime bush (which was on
my window sill but i've moved it outside and is still in its pot) has
lost a lot of leaves,

Kaffir lime is a small tree, if it is in a pot small enough to go on a
window sill it will get rootbound. Because I need to move it out of frost I
keep mine in a large tub on wheels, even so it needs some TLC to be healthy.

What was the temperature like when you moved it outside? It's a
sub-tropical plant that cannot stand frost and really doesn't like the cold,
especially cold winds.

there are little bumps now all up the stem
which i'm guessing is some kind of infestation?.

Do they peel off if you scrape them with a fingernail? Are they hard on the
outside but softer inside? If so it is scale. On a small plant you could
scrape them off with the back of a blade or there are sprays. Scale will
stress your plants and may be the cause of the leaf drop. OTOH the scale
and the leaf drop may both be a sign of general unhealthiness due to poor
conditions.

Since i moved it
outside it has starting growing leaves but they are reddy/brown -
does this mean it has a deficiency?

any thoughts?

In a small pot it will be a challenge to maintain reasonable moisture and to
feed a kaffir lime. How much light did it get indoors? How much now?

David