Old 25-06-2009, 09:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

Default Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:47:02 -0500, wrote:

Where I was the squirrels were in cages. I wasn't very good at keeping
them in when I was feeding and cleaning. On seveal occasions, one
would run up my arm, over my back and was free! (I wan't good at
catching them either - the squirrels no doubt enjoyed my being there.)

I had to laugh when I read this. One of my very first experiences
years ago: I was able to capture an ailing squirrel easily. Took her
to a specific vet tech who had lots of experience with squirrels--had
even kept and raised a few. As she was reaching for the door, she
said "Stand back...if you don't know what you're doing..." and of
course, right on cue, the squirrel took a flying head butt against the
door, and was past us in a flash. We ended up chasing a ****ed off
squirrel up and down a huge veterinary lab for an hour and a half.
Poor little thing was probably stressed, but she ended up doing well.

Some are so quick that it's like being in a Star Trek time warp...just
running in a different time reference from humans.

What I enjoy most about squirrels is how much they like having fun -
as soon as their eyes are open they're wrestling with each other. As
Cindy Lauper might have sung, Squirrels Just Wanna Have Fun.

Such a joy to see that, isn't it. They do seem to take so much joy in
being alive.