Old 15-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Rich Conley

Default Prunning From the Bottom?

Stem plants tend to look nicer when pruned that way. When I'm trying to
propegate them, I just leave the bottom, chop off the top, and plant
that...and the bottom plant will branch below the chopped point..but they
can get rater unsightly after theyve been cut up a couple times.

Then I pull them out and just plant the cut off tops..and it looks all
nice and orderly again.

James Ervin wrote:

In an article on the Krib, Dan Resler suggests that stem plants should
be pruned from the bottom. I quote:

"One solution is diligent pruning. Many of the so-called `bunch'
plants will do better, however, if they're trimmed from the bottom.
Pull the plant out of the substrate, lop off the bottom portion, and
then replant. Roots seem to be easier to grow than new stems and
leaves."

Can anyone comment on this and their experiences? Or, perhaps just
elaborate on this. I think this may be tied in with the absorbtion of
nutrients from the upper portion of the plant (through the water) vs
the root system........so perhaps it is intuitive after all.

James Ervin
Remove SPAM to email me.