Old 25-06-2009, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default A hard time with moss & rocks

"Terry Coker" wrote in message

Hi all, while most people are trying to keep moss out of there garden,
I'm trying to encourage it. I am haveing difficulty with getting moss
to grow specifically on rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how
to get moss growing on rocks successfully.

Moss doesn't typically grow on rocks, lichens typically grow on rocks. Moss
grows on soil between rocks and on various organic materials, like tree bark
and decaying wood. Lichens grow on a mineral based substance (rocks), and
like dry and full sun. Moss likes wet and shade. One can get moss to grow
in rocks if first they attach some sort of organic, but the moss still will
not be growing directly on the rocks and once the organic material is
depleted, which won't be very long, the moss will die.