Old 15-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Audrey

Default GardenWeb?

Actually, I thought it was very clever to use cookies to redirect
access! (Contrary to what others may believe, some people garden,
program computers, and even golf! :-)

The ability of any website to write cookies on your computer is
controlled by you (by allowing the capability via the
preferences/settings of your preferred browser -- e.g., Internet
Explorer or Netscape). For example, under Netscape:Edit:Preferences
select the Advanced section and you'll see that you can set the option
to accept all cookies, only those from your website, etc.) Cookies
are simple little entries in a file maintained on your computer. In
fact, you *could* directly edit the cookie file and remove and cookies
that someone had left (get the idea?).

A firewall is used for protection... in both directions. Without
getting too complicated, it can be used to block computers, or entire
subnets/domains of computers, from accessing your site. Or, as in the
case of an employer, it could be used to block OUTWARD access (e.g.,
to keep you from accessing certain sites while you're at work).
Firewalls have nothing to do with cookies, except that if they block
access to a site, then software at that site clearly cannot write a
cookie to your computer!

Been lurking on and off at this group for years. Have even posted a
few odd times -- but never got any replies to my posts. I'd hope at
least *someone* would find my information helpful, and be glad that I
*did* post this too.

Audrey.

"Frodoville" wrote in message ...
I was wondering about how you said he uses the cookies on your computer.
Can that still happen if you have a fire wall?

--
Jam

(remove the "m" )

"Alice Gamewell" wrote in message
Try
www.Gardenguides.com or www.seedswappers.org. Garden Web stinks. It
is owned
by one guy and even though you follow his rules, if you post something he

doesn't
like , he will never let you post again, by using the cookies on your

computer, he
sends you to a to a Disney site instead.
Just my 2 cents.........
Christine