Old 25-06-2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Filter media switch

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:30:34 EDT, Joe wrote:

I had planned on an up-flow but am not sure about then having to remove all
the pads just to clean the first. There is a prefilter. Maybe I should just
use the horizontal layout.

Have you found a cheap source for matala?
San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

If you have a prefilter, then it probably won't matter so much. My pads
stay pretty clean to last a full year, that it is easier to power wash them
all at the same time. Course I only do 1 chamber at a time so I have the
bio-backup in the other chamber. You could always pull yours out and put
back the upper cleaner layers.

Horizontal flow is a nice idea... that one can pull the first in-line out
to clean, but with open cell foam it wanted to stick to its mates, or the
mates fall forward during the removal. I don't expect the later to happen
with matala, too rigid, but they may stick/latch onto their mate if you
have to trim them causing loose lines that can get a hold of the other pad.
No, haven't done any research as of yet for best price, was hoping someone
else had. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us