Old 25-06-2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tums fo calcium

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
I have Tums and I understand my peppers love calcium Tums are
mostly calcium. I've heard you can grind up the Tums and mix it
with water for the peppers. Sounds reason able. Anyone do this? How
about other calcium tablets?

Paul

Tums contain calcium carbonate but this would have to be the most
expensive fertiliser you have ever bought. Very roughly you add lime
(calcium carbonate) or gypsum (calcium sulphate) at a handfull per
square metre (yard). How many tums does it take to make a handfull?
How much would that cost? You can buy a 5kg (10lb) bag of lime or
gypsum for a few dollars and bigger bags at less per kg.

If you really want to grow good veges look at the soil as a whole
rather than focus on one element. For example if your soil pH was
already over 7 you wouldn't want to add calcium carbonate which will
raise it even further. Unless your peppers are showing signs of
calcium deficiency I wouldn't worry about it. It's a question of
finding balance not of finding a magic ingredient.

I forgot to mention I am growing these in pots. They occupy a 22
inch and an 18 inch pot filled with new potting soil. The leaves do
show signs of calcium deficiency as shown in various pictures I have
seen. The leaves tend to be crinkled and often slightly malformed.

I already have the Tums, I just did not kow how much to use. I know
I can buy bone meal and other forms of calcium at the store. I have
no source for gypsum other than to raid a construction site.

Paul

As others have said calcium deficiency is often related to watering.

If you use the tums, assuming they are 100% calcium carbonate, grind them up
finely and sprinkle about a rounded teaspoon in each pot. Mixing with water
won't do much because it is only slightly soluble in water at neutral pH.

Bone meal is approximately calcium phosphate which is good in that it
supplies phosphorus as well as calcium but it is less soluble and will take
longer to work especially if it isn't finely ground.

David