Old 26-06-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Volunteer Flower I.D.

In article wildbilly-3CBEC7.08272725062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article wildbilly-25C53E.22022824062009@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au,
says...

I have no idea how they do it. I had two empty pots from the basil the
year before, and the red valerian moved in. It never comes up in
cultivated soil for me.
See Garden:
http://tinypic.com/1r509n5u

Red Valerian (centranthus ruber)is also known as Jupiter's beard and is
a wasteland plant.

Valeriana Officinalis is related but not a close cousin.

Apparently a different genus in the Family (Valeriana sylvestris).

The former is (IIRC) edible.

Discribed as non-toxic, but not appealing.

LOL ...just checked the Richter's seed catalogue and it's described as
culinary.