Old 26-06-2009, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hamer Family Hamer Family is offline

Default Gardening on Mull

1. Plant Kale.
Lovely stuff if fresh, I put it in pasta, omellettes, soups. Makes a great
soup with broad beans. Survives almost anything and is a traditional crop of
crofters in Scotland. Tastes better after the frost has worked it's magic on
it and you can eat the younger leaves as salad. Maybe a bit late to plant
seeds now, maybe not. You could buy half a dozen young plants off Ebay. It
will be ready to eat before you know it.

2. Compost all your vegetable waste, or dig a trench fill it with kitchen
waste, pile the soil back on top and plant your Kale in there. You will get
the odd spud eye or tomato seed coming through from time to time but it gets
all the nutrients right where you want them.

3. Have fun. It is all about experimentation and making use of what you
have.

--
Mark Hamer
www.another-way.co.uk

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!

"Kath" wrote in message
I am new to Scottish gardening. Any advice on veggies to grow on the East
coast of the
Isle of Mull? Plus tasty apples and what about rhubarb?

Are there any tricks to getting good crops (without lots of fertiliser?

Thanks
Kath

'The Stories of George the Hamster'
Translated by Lee H and Kathleen Smith
ISBN - 978-0-9546989-3-5
Available from www.arlev.clara.net/george.htm
and from both on line and High Street Bookshops