Old 26-06-2009, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Harvertsing Basil

In article ,
Balvenieman wrote:

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Easy question, do you harvest just the leaves or do you ct the stems?

I grow only the Greek basil called, "Spicy Globe", preferring its
anise-like flavor to the sassafrass-like flavor of other varieties

Sassafrass-like flavor of other varieties, Shirley, you jest? When I
think of root beer, I think of sassafrass. When looking for basil, I
look for "Genovese', or "di Genova" for that lemon, anise, clove flavor
that I love in pesto.
. I
just cut the stems with scissors. Fresh, I use/freeze leaves only but
before dehydrating, I suspend the entire stems, inverted, for a day and
remove the leaves after drying.
I prune closely and frequently to encourage branching and compact
growth but it has no effect on blossoming. For the variety that I grow,
inflorescence has no effect on the flavor; in fact the blossoms add
additional

(?)
when used as an ingredient.
I plant basil throughout the garden and let it blossom every year,
although, I do not let it set seed. The blossoms attract a wide variety
of native insects - a few of which may help in garden pollination -
although, they do necessitate rising pretty early to prevent a honeybee
infestation.

Oh, the horror of it ;O)

The only time I avoid Basil is when it is Fawlty.
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn