Old 26-06-2009, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify shrub please

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message
,
moghouse writes
On Jun 26, 4:44*pm, Rog wrote:
Could you id the shrub (in Hunstanton btw) please.
Is there an on-line resource to do this, apart from your good selves?

You don't need one, I would put my money on Stewart any day!

Cetainly looks like Santolina - sometimes known as the Curry plant,
but I never figured out why.

Possibly because it looks somewhat like Helichrysum italicum, which is
sold under that name. Fide Wikipedia, the culinary curry is Murraya
koenigii, which belongs to the citrus family.

Clicking a few more links in Wikipedia it appears that it is misleading
on the latter point, curry powder being a mixture of spices, and Murraya
koenigii curry tree.

But then I've never figured out why Santolina is called cotton
lavender. (Is the scent considered similar to lavender?)

Anyway I christened mine "Vindaloo" just
to be on the safe side. I got mine from Beth Chatto at Elmstead Market
- hers make beautifully neat clumps, mine is like the one in your
picture only more so!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley