Old 26-06-2009, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identify shrub please

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message , Rog
writes
Could you id the shrub (in Hunstanton btw) please.
Is there an on-line resource to do this, apart from your good selves?
Thanks

I'd prefer to have seen more detail of the foliage and inflorescences,
but I think that it's cotton lavender (Santolina).

It doesn't look anything like the Santolina I have in my garden.

Mine has silvery foliage, and is at least 6' tall - albeit it grows
alongside a fence, which probably supports it somewhat.

The more commonly grown cotton lavender is Santolina chamaecyparissus,
which is, as yours, silver or grey in foliage. There are other species.
Santolina rosmarinifolia (aka virens), for example, has green foliage.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley