Old 27-06-2009, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Talking to plants

From Science Daily. Is this for real? Anybody try the experiment and
report to the NG? (My tomatoes are already so tall, I'm afraid to
chat with them g.)

Persephone

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do women's voices make tomatoes grow faster?
03:59 PM PT, Jun 25 2009

The Telegraph reports this week that a new study by Britain’s Royal
Horticultural Society has found that tomato plants grew up to two
inches taller when women gardeners talked to them regularly. The men
apparently were so bad at communicating with their tomatoes -- hard to
believe -- their plants actually grew less than a plant that was left
completely alone.

In the April experiment, the public was invited to record excerpts
from John Wyndham’s "The Day of the Triffids," William Shakespeare's
"A Midsummer's Night Dream" and Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of
Species." A selection of voices was then played to 10 plants via
headphones connected to the plant pot.

Not surprisingly, the best results came from Sarah Darwin, great-great
granddaughter of the legendary botanist. After reading a passage from
"On the Origin of Species," Darwin saw her plant grow nearly two
inches taller than the best performing male.

Note to self: Time to start reading Michael Pollan to the Better Boys.

--Lisa